Thursday, January 27, 2011

White "Privileged " rappers

I have nothing against white rappers. I actually really appreciate and support the music Yelawolf produces but he’s the exception and not the rule. Music is an art form and so it’s really impossible to claim it as a black thing. It was birthed from our culture but as children do, hip hop went its own way. So I’m open to any artist that expresses themselves through quality music. The keyword is Quality. But I truly believe what gives an artist that “it” factor is the passion they have for what they do. That was one of the first things that made me fall in love with Hip-hop, rappers were so passionate about their music. So any white rapper that is passionate about his music and it comes through in his work I’m usually a fan of.

BUT here’s why I don’t usually vibe with white rappers.

When our children look back on Hip Hop it will tell story of black men during our era. And it won’t just tell a story about one black man. No Hip hop over the past few decades has presented artists who tell the story of every type of black man that’s live during this time. Some of us were gangstas, politicians, potheads, revolutionaries, moguls, models, martyrs etc. the list goes on. And many of your favorite rappers fits into several of those roles. Hip Hop connects us with their journey’s. Hip hop music tells us not just who the black man was but how he came to be who he was. Listening to Ready to Die, Illmatic, or Reasonable Doubt, you’ll come across plenty of stories that show success, failure, redemption etc. You receive a very intimate and detailed account of what being a black man in America is like through Hip Hop. I relate to these stories because so many of the challenges they face, I faced as well. Hip Hop was and still is (for now) my story. Hip Hop was more than just a leisurely activity or something that intrigued me. When times get rough Hip Hop had the words when I couldn’t speak, Hip Hop gave me ideas when I couldn’t think, Hip Hop inspired me when I was losing hope. Black men providing hope for other black men is one of the most beautiful things about Hip Hop. I really believe all hip hop heads are truly connected through this bond.

Which brings me to the white rapper. And maybe I should find a better adjective than white because I’m not talking about Eminem. I’m referring to the white rappers who do it just because. I find it hard to become fans of rappers who came into Hip hop because it sparked their curiosity or it was a way to rebel or to make money. Hip Hop isn’t an opportunity to bring people together for them. White rappers who throw their money and status to gain notoriety in the business. Their not telling stories, or really bringing anything substantial to the art form. And that really turns me off to their music because Hip Hop has offered me so much substance in my life. Some people will say well Gucci Mane doesn’t bring substance to the music. This is true, but there are black men who he represents and more importantly Hip hop is all he has. You may not like Gucci’s music but you have to respect the way he put everything into this art form.

The white rapper has plenty of other options besides rap.

Outside of the plight of the black male, Hip Hop music also has soul. I want to feel my music. I want my music to give me chills, shed tears, and make me laugh. I want to hear the soul of the artist in Hip Hop. Hip Hop has been the voice of the black male for so long. When society didn’t give a damn we could always lean on Hip Hip, to provide the voices of blacks males through the various struggles we’ve faced. White rappers definitely don’t provide any soul because when they want to say something, they don’t need Hip Hop to be heard.

Now I have nothing against white rappers, but this is why I’m not a fan of their music.

Let’s Discuss…..

No comments:

Post a Comment