Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sincerely Chicago

In my college entrance essay I remember writing that "Northwestern was the place I envisioned myself growing into the adult I wanted to be." What I really meant was that Chicago was the place I wanted to be when I became an adult. I really didn't know all that meant or everything that encompassed but I meant it.
5 years later I'm spending my last day in Chicago and I can't help but acknowledge despite my struggles with Chicago, It has made me into the man I am today. The winters were harsh but they made me stronger mentally. The cops harrassed me but It forced me to be more clever than them. The locals had attitudes but I learned how to earn their respect. The city was more expensive but I learned how to manage wealth. The lifestyle was fast but I kept pace and made moves. With every negative experience in Chicago I managed to make an opportunity for growth. Growth into the man I am today.
The first three months here I used to wake up and be so excited to be away from Georgia. Then I spent the next four years anticipating the day I could return home. Now that I sit here less than 24 hours from my return, its a bittersweet feeling that washes over me. I've built a life out here and now I'm leaving it all behind. As an adult Chicago has been all that I've known. I have to acknowledge the huge part it's played in my life. I'm fond of this city regardless of how I liked living here. I hope it continues to prosper and maybe one day one of my children can venture out here to find the knowledge and experience that will mold them into the adults they want to be.
I probably have had enough Chicago for one lifetime but I will miss my life here. I'll miss the woman I fell in love with. I'll miss my friends. I'll miss cruising by Lake Michighan on Lake Shore. I'll miss the skyline and all the parks downtown and throughout the city. I'll miss the 3 24 mexican spots in my neighborhood and all the great food. But now that i'm the man I envisioned 5 years ago, its time to pursue the dreams I had for that man as well. Thanks Chicago for making me into that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment