Monday, June 15, 2009

Network

Networking is very important. The saying is its not what you know but who you know. Thats funny, cause i'm pretty damn sure that scholarships, loans, and all my personal finances for the past three years have been invested in this damn degree that is measure of how much I KNOW. If networking is really the key to suscess, then why the hell don't i spend all my time on facebook, and twitter meeting as many people as possible. Or being a door to door salesperson, or a starbucks barista...they meet alot people.

Now i'm not hating on college. I think its an incredibly critical socialization tool, but the most valuable lessons I've learned have been outside the classroom. Plus it's soooo frustrating when I talk to professors and counselors about my future and they ask me who do I know. WTF, I KNOW YOU and your supposed to impart knowledge on me that puts me in place to reach my future goals. If who I knew was supposed to give me access to all my future goals, why would I be wasting my time talking to you....oh wait thats right..cause u work for some university that charges us a shitload of money to research random ass shit, even if you can't or don't care to teach or invest in my future.

Beyond wack professors, my networking skills are poor. I hate to pester people and I really like to do things on my own, which works against networking...why because people are so damn agressive these days. Some people view calling them eight times as dedication...I see that shit as annoying and I just know there is a better way to communicate with people than constantly shoving something down their throats until their so annoyed they decide to give you whatever they want.

Also I've realized that i'm building a network from the ground up. Northwestern is definitely improving my network...but damn...so many kids came in with these well established networks....Imma break in though...I've already began. but..its frustrating trying to....

Inspiration for this post. All the people with cake as summer jobs based off their network...maybe i should learn how to more of an aggressive asshole...that might help...

No comments:

Post a Comment